Summerville, South Carolina
Personal Injury Lawyers
The effects injuries have on victims of personal injury can unfortunately be long lasting. At Crantford Meehan Attorneys at Law, we recognize how life altering this can be for each of our clients – all because of someone else’s negligence. The physical, emotional and financial load to carry is heavy. It is unfair for you and your loved ones to have to cover any recovery and treatment costs which can continue for several months or even years. Luckily, you may be entitled to compensation for your injury. Not sure? Make sure you call our personal injury law firm for us to see if you have a case. As Summerville, SC personal injury attorneys, we have successfully represented victims in zip codes 29483, 29484, 29485 and 29486.
According to South Carolina’s code of laws, section 15 of Chapter 3, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases gives you three years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit in the state's civil court system. The exception lies in the Discovery Rule, which lets you to start the statute of limitations timeline on the date that you discovered the injury.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury law, which allows an injured plaintiff to seek compensation when someone else's negligent or intentional act caused the plaintiff harm, covers several kinds of claims. The most common types of personal injury claims include:
· Car accidents
· Accidents at Work
· Tripping/Falling accidents
· Assault claims
· Accidents in the home
· Accidents caused by unsafe/defective products
· Injuries caused by improper care by health professionals
Simply put, in South Carolina any injury that has been caused by the negligent acts of someone else is considered a possible personal injury claim. That is why you need an experienced legal team who can counsel you on how you can recover damages, medical bills expenses, and even lost wages for each type of injury. The personal injury attorneys at Crantford Meehan are confident in their ability to help their clients win fair personal injury settlements.
What to do after an Injury
1.Call your doctor or 911. Your well-being is your number one priority so the first thing you should do when you’ve been injured is to call your doctor and schedule an appointment or to call 911 if it’s severe and would require more immediate attention.
2. Call a personal injury attorney. You should contact an experienced South Carolina personal injury attorney to guide you through the process step-by-step. Not only will your rights be protected, it will give also provide you peace of mind to know that you hired professionals that can work diligently on your case while you focus on recovering from your injury and your day to day needs.
3. Document pertinent information. It is important to note that it is in your best interest to collect and maintain records and other crucial evidence for your case. Take photos of the scene of the incident, your injuries, and any property damage. Gather contact information from witnesses and obtain the contact and insurance information of the liable party. Aside from that, you should keep receipts for expenses related to your injury, medical bills and reports, and records of any time that you take off work due to your injury. For your doctors, it would be recommended to keep a journal to record your symptoms.
4. File a personal injury claim. After consulting with your lawyer, you will need to file a claim with the insurance company of the liable party. The insurance company should not receive your statement until you have spoken with your attorney. You may need to speak with the police, depending on the situation, but you are not required to provide a statement to the insurance claims adjuster. You also should not sign any release of liability or accept any settlement without first seeking legal advice.
Types of Personal Injury Settlements
The types of damages you can recover from your personal injury settlement include repayment for loss of income, which can be significant if you are out of work while recovering from your injury, medical expenses and property damage. Compensation for loss of spouse, for pain and suffering, and for reputation damage are also included. In some cases, you can seek punitive damages where the liable party has acted with malice or negligence.
About Crantford Meehan
Our knowledgeable legal team at Crantford Meehan strongly advocate for our clients who have suffered an injury that was caused by the negligent acts of other people in Summerville and surrounding areas in South Carolina.
If you or someone you know has been injured personally in Summerville, SC, do not hesitate to call us at Crantford Meehan today. Having worked on several personal injury cases in Summerville and around the state, we will do everything possible to seek a full recovery of your damages, in the form of a settlement or verdict. Contact our office for a free consultation so we may get started on your case, leading a thorough investigation of your case as you recover from your injury. Count on us to help maximize your recovery.
Crantford Meehan two office locations:
50 Folly Road Blvd
Charleston, SC 29407
4001 East Palmetto St
Summerville , SC 29506
By Appointment Only