Florence, South Carolina
Personal Injury Lawyers
At Crantford Meehan Attorneys at Law, we understand all too well the tremendous effect injuries can have on our clients because of someone else’s negligence. Whether an injury was caused unintentionally or not, it creates an unexpected physical and financial burden on you and your loved ones. Medical bills alone are overwhelming, particularly if you were already dealing with a financial hardship prior to your accident. You may be entitled for compensation no matter how minor you believe your injury to be. When in doubt, we recommend that you contact our personal injury law firm, so we may determine whether you have a case. As Florence, SC personal injury attorneys, we have successfully represented victims in zip codes 29501, 29505, 29506, and 29541.
According to South Carolina’s code of laws, section 15 of Chapter 3, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases gives you three years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit in the state's civil court system. The exception lies in the Discovery Rule, which lets you to start the statute of limitations timeline on the date that you discovered the injury.
Types of Personal Injury Claims:
- Car accidents
- Accidents at Work
- Tripping/Falling accidents
- Assault claims
- Accidents in the home
- Accidents caused by unsafe/defective products
- Injuries caused by improper care by health professionals
Simply put, in South Carolina any injury that has been caused by the negligent acts of someone else is considered a possible personal injury claim. That is why you need an experienced legal team who can counsel you on how you can recover damages, medical bills expenses, and even lost wages for each type of injury. The personal injury attorneys at Crantford Meehan are confident in their ability to help their clients win fair personal injury settlements.
What to do after an Injury?
1. Call your doctor or 911. Your well-being is your number one priority so the first thing you should do when you’ve been injured is to call your doctor and schedule an appointment or to call 911 if it’s severe and would require more immediate attention.
2. Call a personal injury attorney. You should contact an experienced South Carolina personal injury attorney to guide you through the process step-by-step. Not only will your rights be protected, it will give also provide you peace of mind to know that you hired professionals that can work diligently on your case while you focus on recovering from your injury and your day to day needs.
3. Document pertinent information. It is important to note that it is in your best interest to collect and maintain records and other crucial evidence for your case. Take photos of the scene of the incident, your injuries, and any property damage. Gather contact information from witnesses and obtain the contact and insurance information of the liable party. Aside from that, you should keep receipts for expenses related to your injury, medical bills and reports, and records of any time that you take off work due to your injury. For your doctors, it would be recommended to keep a journal to record your symptoms.
4. File a personal injury claim. After consulting with your lawyer, you will need to file a claim with the insurance company of the liable party. The insurance company should not receive your statement until you have spoken with your attorney. You may need to speak with the police, depending on the situation, but you are not required to provide a statement to the insurance claims adjuster. You also should not sign any release of liability or accept any settlement without first seeking legal advice.
Types of Personal Injury Settlements:
There are a few types of damages you can recover from your personal injury settlement. These include reimbursement for medical expenses, for lost wages, and for property damage. Also included is compensation for loss of consortium (or loss of spouse), compensation for pain and suffering, and compensation for reputation damage. You can also seek punitive damages, in some instances, where the liable party has acted with malice or egregious negligence.
About Crantford Meehan
Our dedicated legal team at Crantford Meehan have made it their priority to protect the rights of clients who have suffered an injury caused by the negligent acts of others in Florence and surrounding areas in South Carolina.
If you or someone you know has been injured personally in Florence, SC as a result of someone else’s negligence, make sure to call us at Crantford Meehan today. Having handled many personal injury cases in Florence and around the state, we will do all we can to seek a full recovery of your damages, whether through a settlement or verdict. Be sure to contact our office for a free consultation so we may begin working on your case, conducting a thorough investigation of your case as you recuperate from your injury. You can rely on us to go above and beyond to help maximize your recovery.
Crantford Meehan two office locations:
50 Folly Road Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407
4001 East Palmetto St
Florence, SC 29506
By Appointment Only