The law doesn’t require that you use a lawyer to pursue compensation after a minor car crash. However, the benefits of hiring an attorney are significant. Car accident lawyers know how to seek the money their clients need for their injuries and losses, such as lost wages after a crash. Those losses can be higher than you think. Even a minor rear-end collision can result in whiplash that doesn’t manifest until weeks after the actual crash.
Even after a minor collision, medical care might be necessary. You can suffer whiplash, a concussion, or another injury requiring treatment. Those expenses should not be your responsibility. You can ask for compensation for your losses by filing an injury claim or lawsuit.
Common Complications from a Minor Crash
A minor car accident can lead to numerous complications. Many drivers wrongly believe they don’t need medical attention or the other motorist’s insurance information. You might briefly talk to the other parties involved in the collision and agree not to notify law enforcement.
Choosing not to report the accident or obtain insurance information from the other driver can be problematic. You won’t have evidence of what happened or documentation proving your injury. It can also be a problem because many car accidents result from traffic violations. You should always notify the police and speak with a lawyer if another driver hits you.
Common complications from a minor car accident include:
- Underlying injuries – Assuming a fender bender or low-speed collision doesn’t cause injuries are normal. Even if you sought treatment immediately after the collision, you might have decided not to follow up with your doctor. Or, you might quickly assess the situation at the scene and decide you feel fine. However, some symptoms aren’t apparent in the immediate aftermath of a crash. It could take days before you notice pain or mobility issues. When you start treatment, a clean-up crew has cleared the accident scene. You’ll also face challenges identifying and tracking down the other driver.
- Costly property damage – Minor crashes can cause small dents or scratches to the cars involved. You might look at the damage and think repairing it won’t be expensive. However, an inspection can uncover issues you didn’t know existed that require more expensive repairs than you thought. You shouldn’t have to pay for property damage that someone else caused.
- Lawsuit or insurance claim from the other motorist – Although you and the other driver agree not to go through insurance, they could change their mind. They might realize they have significant injuries or property damage and can’t afford the costs. If they file a claim or lawsuit first, they can lie about the details and blame you for what happened to recover compensation.
Selecting a Suitable Car Accident Attorney
Picking a name you find from a quick internet search isn’t advisable. You must thoroughly research potential candidates before retaining a lawyer’s legal services. Factors you should consider during your search include:
- Communication skills – Ineffective communication can ruin the process during a car accident case. Even if you can reach your attorney when you need them, conversations might leave you feeling confused or frustrated. Good communication skills are necessary and something you should watch for during the initial meeting.
- Experience – Legal experience isn’t enough. The lawyer you hire must have experience handling car accident cases. They might not know how to pursue your case if they specialize in other practice areas, such as premises liability or medical malpractice.
- Reputation – Looking for someone with a stellar reputation is essential during your search. You can review their website for awards they received for their work, testimonials from previous clients, and past case results. A well-reviewed and respected lawyer in the legal field is more likely to meet your needs and legal goals.
- Chemistry – Listen to your gut while talking to an attorney during the initial consultation. You should get along and be on the same page about approaching your case. Bad chemistry can complicate things later.
- Availability – It’s frustrating when you hire someone to do a job and can’t get a hold of them when you need them. Consider a lawyer with a call center that’s open 24/7. That way, you can ask questions or get a status update on your case conveniently.
Contact an Experienced South Carolina Car Accident Attorney
Don’t let a minor car accident stand in the way of pursuing the compensation you deserve. You must go to the doctor after leaving the accident scene. Your next step should be to contact Crantford Meehan. We will protect your rights and fight by your side until the end.
Call us at [phone-number linked=true] for a free consultation if you sustained injuries in a minor car crash due to someone else’s negligence.