According to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, there is a traffic accident every 3.6 minutes in the state. These accidents cause an injury once every 14.4 minutes. Someone loses their life in a traffic collision every 7.9 hours. These alarming statistics underscore the challenges motorists face across the Palmetto State.
An experienced South Carolina car accident lawyer can help you get rightful compensation and hold the at-fault party accountable for their negligence if you have suffered injuries or lost a loved one in a car crash. Here’s a breakdown of what a lawyer does at each stage of the process.
Help Find Medical Care
One of the most significant challenges for many people after suffering injuries in a car accident is finding appropriate medical care. Individuals without sufficient health insurance may be unable to afford care. A car accident attorney can connect clients with doctors or healthcare facilities offering treatment on lien. This means that the medical provider will be willing to accept payment after the patient has recovered compensation in their personal injury case.
The attorney can also work to see that you receive the appropriate assessments, tests, and medical documentation to provide the necessary evidence for your claim.
Conduct an Investigation
Another chief function of a car accident attorney is thoroughly investigating the accident that caused your injuries. This can include gathering evidence by:
- Visiting and photographing the crash scene
- Requesting a copy of the police report
- Reviewing any available dashcam and surveillance footage
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Analyzing data from the vehicle’s on-board computer system
- Consulting with accident reconstruction experts
Your attorney’s ability to locate and compile evidence can help you maximize your compensation.
Build Your Case
A diligent car accident lawyer will work hard to build the strongest possible case to prove liability and secure maximum compensation for your injuries and losses. This involves steps such as:
- Gathering police reports, medical records, bills, pay stubs, and other documentation to support your claims about the crash, your injuries, and your financial losses
- Utilizing forensic accountants to accurately calculate the full short and long-term costs associated with medical treatment, property repairs or replacement, lost income from missed work, future lost income, and other accident-related expenses
- Having physicians comprehensively evaluate your condition to substantiate the severity of your injuries as well as provide their expert opinion on your prognosis, treatment needs, and impairment
- Analyzing negligence and liability issues by establishing breaches of traffic laws or responsible driving practices and demonstrating how the at-fault driver’s actions directly caused the collision
- Determining all viable options for legal recovery from multiple liable parties such as individual drivers, commercial companies, government entities, and product manufacturers
Deal with Insurance Companies
Corresponding with insurance companies can be one of the most frustrating aspects of car accident claims. An attorney can minimize your exposure to stress by initiating the claim process. They can handle communications with the insurance adjuster on your behalf. Your legal representative will have the knowledge and skills necessary to contest lowball offers using case evidence. They will use their experience to negotiate full and fair compensation for your accident-related losses aggressively.
Your attorney will handle all administrative filings in your injury claim so you can concentrate on healing. This includes tasks such as:
- Drafting demand letters to initiate claims or request additional payment from insurance providers
- Completing required application forms for insurance benefits, worker’s compensation, short/long-term disability, and other sources
- Preparing convincing legal arguments and court motions to compel defendants or insurers to provide information, records, or fair compensation
- Meeting stringent deadlines for requests, court dates, trials, and settlements
Take Your Case to Court
An experienced trial lawyer can present your case in court in pursuit of maximum compensation if a fair settlement cannot be successfully negotiated out of court. Your attorney will handle all aspects of litigation, including:
- Selecting court venue and filing appropriate paperwork
- Representing you in settlement conferences, status hearings, and motion hearings
- Representing your best interests during jury selection and trial preparation
- Presenting persuasive opening and closing arguments
- Examining witnesses and expert testimony
- Making compelling legal arguments before a judge or jury
- Requesting the highest permissible damages award
Contact an Experienced South Carolina Car Accident Lawyer Today
While many injured people believe they can handle car accident claims themselves, they often quickly realize that the process is more stressful and complex than they initially thought. When working with a seasoned attorney, you’ll know that your case is in good hands while you focus on your recovery.
The experienced car accident attorneys at Murphy Crantford Meehan are dedicated to standing up for injured South Carolinians in their time of need. Our compassionate lawyers will listen to your story. We will fight for the full and fair compensation you deserve. Contact us online or at (843) 396-3840 today for a free case review to learn more about what we can do for you.